To keep your memory foam mattress topper healthy and free from allergens, dust mite, toxic and bacteria, regular and thorough cleaning is essential. Allowing dust or spills to settle on your topper can make even the most comfortable mattress topper unpleasant and unsightly.
However, cleaning your memory foam topper requires skills and should not be soaked in water since it absorbs water during washing. Your memory foam mattress toppers cannot be washed using a washing machine owing to its size not to mention that the machine agitation could lead to their breakage. Manual cleaning is the most effective method and here is a guide on how you should do it.
Things you need for cleaning :
- Vacuum cleaner
- Clean cotton cloth
- Laundry detergent
- Spray bottle
Now check how to clean memory foam mattress topper manually
- The first thing you should do is to remove the topper from your bed and then place it in an area that has good air circulation and this can be outdoors or in a room as long as there is a window. Make sure it is on a firm or hard surface.
- Once it is properly rested on the hard surface use a hose attachment to vacuum it. This should be done by going through circular motions as you remove any particles or fragments from both sides. In case your memory foam mattress topper happens to have some small gaps, try as much as possible to access the inside parts of every gap for thorough cleaning. Always remember that the crevices will increase the foam’s surface area.
- In case your foam topper has some stains, you can clean them using a clean cotton cloth dipped in some little amount of water mixed with a gentle laundry detergent. This should be able to wipe the stained spots gently, erasing the stains thus giving you a better ending.
- The next step should be to mix some warm water and a gentle laundry detergent in a spray bottle. This can be done in the ratio of 2:1 respectively after which you should spray the solution on the mattress to cover the whole surface. Do not drench your memory foam. Once you have fully sprayed, give the solution a few hours to settle before going to the next step.
- After allowing the solution to sit on your memory foam for some time, take clean cotton clothe and dampen it using clean water. Use this cloth to remove the detergent and this can be done by pressing the mattress thus ensuring that it is fully cleaned. Rinse the cloth as you find necessary for thorough results. This should be done on both sides of the mattress to ensure that the entire surface is perfectly cleaned.
- Once you are through with this process, lay the clean memory foam mattress on a flat shady surface or in a properly aired room with windows. This will help ensure that the topper is fully dried thus eliminating any chances of mildew formation. Leave the memory topper in this position (if inside) for 24 hours or until you are certain that it has properly dried up.
How to clean memory foam mattress with vacuum cleaner
Mattress cleaner accessories :
Vacuum cleaner: A perfect vacuum cleaner is important for cleaning specially when you are considering to clean mattress and topper regularly with others.